The West Elgin Community Health Centre delivers primary care to registered clients. Our Primary Health Care Team consists of Physicians, Nurse Practitioners (NP), a Registered Nurses (RN), and Registered Practical Nurses (RPN).
- Illness prevention and health promotion
- Assessment and management of chronic and acute health conditions
- Support for people with terminal illness
- Education and support for self-care
- After hours on-call telephone support by a Physician or Nurse Practitioner
- Influenza vaccination clinics open to the public
Each client is assigned to either a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician. A client may see another provider if their assigned provider is unavailable.
Becoming a Client
To see a member of our Primary Health Care Team, you must be a registered client. To become registered you:
- Must complete application and health history forms (see application process and forms at the bottom of the page). Forms can be picked up in reception or you can call and ask that it be mailed or emailed to you. It is very important that you are honest in completing the forms. We do not turn away anyone even complex individuals. We do, however, rotate complex and less complex applicants among our Providers.
- Will have your name put on a wait-list (wait times vary depending on volume of applications)
- Will be called (in the order people have applied) to schedule an intake appointment
As a Registered Client, you:
- Are assigned to one of our Providers (a Physician, or a Nurse Practitioner)
- Can be seen by another Provider if the one you are assigned to is unable to see you
- Are able to utilize the on-site lab services offered here by Dynacare labs
- Are able to participate in our free flu vaccine clinics which are held each fall (also open to the public)
- Are able to access the after-hours on-call service provided by our Physicians and Nurse Practitioners
- Are able to access all programs and services offered by the Health Centre (also open to the public)
We ask that you monitor your prescription needs closely.
It is ideal that you come in and see your Provider for medication renewals unless otherwise discussed with your Provider. Many medications require a physical assessment of how you are doing prior to reordering.
Please call 2 weeks before you require your medication to get an appointment or have a prescription faxed to the pharmacy. If your Provider is on holidays, your prescription may only be extended for a week or two until your Provider returns.
Become involved in your own care
We believe that clients are equal partners in their health care decisions, and that health includes social, emotional, mental and spiritual and physical well-being. These beliefs guide our approach to Primary Care so we make sure clients are properly informed about their medical conditions and that they understand the reasons for tests and options for treatments. We also encourage questions about your health care. Our Providers are available to support individuals making positive changes to their lifestyle and we encourage clients to play an active role in their health care plan.
As a result of many appointment cancellations and no shows for appointments, the Primary Care team no longer offer appointments far in advance. We do have a mixture of same day appointments and the ability to book up to five days when you call into the Health Centre.
- Review the “Application for Primary Care Letter”
- Complete all sections of the “Application for Primary Care Services” form
- If 18 years of age or older, complete all sections of the “Adult Medical History Questionnaire”
- If under 18 years of age, complete all sections of the “Child and Youth Medical History Questionnaire”
- If you take any controlled substance medication such as pain medication or sedative, we also require that you complete a “Medical History of Treatment for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain”
- Once you have completed your application form you can drop it off or:
- mail it to: West Elgin Community Health Centre, 153 Main Street, West Lorne, Ontario N0L 2P0
- fax it to: West Elgin Community Health Centre, 519-768-2548
- we do not recommend emailing completed medical forms as email is not a secure system